An Overview of Chiropractic Treatment; Techniques and Benefits
Chiropractic treatment is a hands-on spinal manipulation treatment for pain relief. It is based on the theory that if the body’s musculoskeletal structure is properly aligned, the body will heal itself without the need for medication or surgery. This treatment focuses on reducing pain and improving the body’s mechanical function. It is a pain relief alternative for joints, muscles, bones, and connective tissues.
There are two types of chiropractic doctors; those who focus on symptom relief and the ones who work on structural correction and subluxation. Chiropractor prices in Ottawa are manageable since chiropractic treatment takes place in stages.
Types of Chiropractic Adjustment Techniques
1. Gonstead technique
The patient lies on his/her side or sits up, and the chiropractor adjusts his/her low back or pelvis by the use of hands. This technique is used when the chiropractor wants to;
- Increase mobility
- Reduce pain and stiffness
- Realign joints
2. Activator technique
The specialist uses a handheld instrument to deliver gentle impulses into the vertebral segments of the spine or to the extremities. This instrument has sprung and is used to adjust the nervous system’s tone. It is a technique used to treat low back pain and migraines.
3. Decompression manipulation or flexion distraction
The patient lies on a special table that distracts and flexes the spine in a gentle stretching motion. Patients who have recent injuries or are extra sensitive to other types of adjustments will benefit from this technique.
It is mostly used to treat;
- Facet joint pain
- Disc herniations
4. Drop table technique
This technique is used to treat the spine or extremities. A special table with padded platforms is designed to drop the patient slightly once the chiropractor applies a quick thrust. The slight dropping motion resembles light vibrations, which make the patient comfortable.
5. Diversified technique
The chiropractor uses hands-on thrusts with extreme precision in this technique.
This technique focuses on;
- restoring proper movement
- repairing joint dysfunction
- restoring spine alignment
6. Logan basic treatment
It’s an adjustment technique that requires the chiropractor to apply pressure on a spot on the sacral bone. It relieves tension from the back muscles.
7. Spinal decompression
A special table that carefully stretches the spine is used. It promotes the flow of essential fluids and oxygen into the discs and all through the spine. It is used to treat lower back pain symptoms caused by herniated, bulging, degenerated, and slipped discs.
Procedure for Chiropractic Treatment
Once you make an appointment for chiropractic treatment near you, the chiropractor will discuss your medical history with you. At Ottawa Health, Dr. Rich Raigoza, a physiotherapist in Ottawa, will examine you physically and also perform tests like x-ray tests before commencing treatment. This ensures the appropriate treatment for your condition.
The chiropractor will use the hands or a device to apply controlled force to the spine or a joint in order to treat it. The chiropractor may include relaxation techniques, dietary supplements, or heat and ice therapy alongside chiropractic treatment. He will also counsel you on lifestyle factors that affect musculoskeletal health. The specialist may refer you to physiotherapy near you for electro-therapeutic treatments to complement the chiropractic adjustments.
Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment
- Eases back pain through spinal manipulation
- Regular chiropractic care ensures a healthier pregnancy. A woman’s body changes significantly during pregnancy. The effects of changes affecting the spine and nervous system are altered through chiropractic treatment.
- Chiropractic treatment assists in correcting neck, back, and head pain caused by poor posture
- A spine misalignment reduces the ability of the nervous system to control the function of organs, cells, and tissues. This improves when the spine is realigned through chiropractic treatment, therefore, boosting the body’s immunity.
- Chiropractic care slows down the progression of arthritis since it improves the status of the bone, cartilage, and joint capsule.
- Chiropractic adjustments that target nerves situated in the upper neck help lower blood pressure
- Cervical spine manipulation decreases neck pain for a short time.
- It reduces the symptoms of scoliosis by improving the Cobb angle
- Athletes improve their performance through chiropractic treatment since there is an increase in joint mobility and reduction of tissue restriction
- It treats tension headaches through spinal manipulation
Chiropractic treatments assist the nerves located in the thoracic spine to work properly. This leads to a reduction in stomach problems.